Thursday, 25 September 2008

Missing - have you seen these paintings?

The following three paintings are missing, feared stolen. Have you seen them?

The paintings are all illustrations for my picture book. They were on show last year at the Ian Logan Design Shop, Charterhouse Square, London EC1. The shop closed in January 2008, but I only learned of this some months later. Today I was told that the paintings haven’t been found in storage with other items from the shop.

This amounts to months of work lost. They are irreplaceable. Any help in recovering them would be greatly appreciated.

You can download a wanted poster here.

Ian Logan Design Company London
Ian Logan Design Shop London
Ian Logan Design London

If these have been stolen, sad to say it wouldn’t be the first time for me.

UPDATE 22 January 2012

Two of the paintings have been recovered! Yesterday I collected the second and third pictured above. The first, of Sadie getting dressed, is still missing.

 Thanks to Ruth in East London, who saw them at a car boot sale in Epping some three years ago, and had the good taste to buy them for her young son, and thanks to her sharp eyed friend who recently recognised them as being from the book. Ruth’s lad now has two framed digital prints of the images in his room to replace the paintings, as well as a signed first edition of Sadie the Air Mail Pilot. He’s lived with the images for a long time, but never read the book before. I hope the story lives up to any he may have daydreamed for himself!

15 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

These thiefs have very good taste!

kellie said...

This story is still unclear, unlike the robbery of one of my paintings in Denmark last year. That event I found completely perplexing - the painting would have had next to no resale value, and if someone took it because they liked it then I find that even harder to understand - to rob someone whose work you admire, what kind of thinking is that?

Roland Dodds said...

Excellent pieces, I can see why someone would want them.

Hope you get them back comrade.

kelly hill said...

what news on the disappearance? everyone shocked in shoreditch

kellie said...

No news yet. I've been to see the other company that used to sublet space from the shop, Odysea, an olive oil import business, but no-one there knew much. The moving company Pickfords have also been contacted with no result - they moved Odysea's stuff out of the building.

I'm now trying to get payment from Ian Logan, though I'd prefer to get the paintings back. It's especially frustrating as there's going to be a show of art from the book in Helsinki in January.

kelly hill said...

by the way ... i saw them in the shop if you ever need a witness!

kellie said...

Thanks for the offer, Kelly, though that part at least is not in dispute. I'm awaiting a small claims court date.

John said...

this is terrible, I'm so sorry. The only time I've had artwork stolen was from a London gallery too, many years ago. I'll mention it to friends in London and let you know if anything turns up. Presumably the gallery staff are the prime suspects, can't the police help?

kellie said...

Thanks, John. At this point I've received some financial compensation, though not the full value of the paintings, so I'm still asserting ownership. I'd prefer the paintings back rather than the money.

As to suspects, I have no idea. I'm told the paintings were left in a room which was not secure, at a time when part of the property was sub-let.

Pedestrian said...

WHOA!
You're an artist too!
You'd be GREAT for my list!

Ellis Nadler said...

Another reason to work digitally, I guess.

kellie said...

Or a reason to do printmaking rather than painting.

kellie said...

I got two of the paintings back yesterday! One is still missing. Hurrah for the internet! Update at the end of the post.

John said...

That's great news Kellie! How did you trace them?

kellie said...

Once Ruth's friend told her the images were from a children's book, she Googled it, read about the pictures going missing, and phoned me. Siunattu teknologia!