Wednesday, 29 September 2010

Calling Iran, Iran calling . . .







The New York Times is marking forty years of the Op-Ed page by republishing a selection from the archive, including this from 2005, Marjane Satrapi on Iran and Israel, and the politics of provocation.

Some BBC World Service radio to go with that: in part five of the World Stories series, Afshin Dehkordi compares the use of internet communications by Iran’s Green Movement with the use of telephone and tape cassette technology by the organisers of the 1979 revolution, interviewing journalist and activist Masih Alinejad, and veteran of 1979 Mohsen Sazegara.

And some related blog posts: Pedestrian on the Society of the Spectacle, and at EA, An Open Letter to All Experts Bashing “Twitter Revolution”.

At the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran, Iranian Blogger Hossein Derakhshan Receives Over 19 Years In Prison, and Terry Glavin on Hossein Derakhshan.

Image copyright © Marjane Satrapi.

3 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I love the Marjane Satrapi piece. Persepolis is a superb piece (a friend of mine who is of a similar age to Marjane said "this was my life" in relation to the first book.

If you haven't read it, I would strongly recommend Embroideries too

kellie said...

Both the Persepolis books I thought were superb. I haven't read Embroideries. Chicken With Plums was just too grim for me at the time I looked at it.

jams o donnell said...

I know what you mean about Chicken with Plums... It's hardly a lighthearted comedy of manners