Saturday, 20 August 2011

I like to walk in the rain



Every time in the last week when we’ve had the notion to walk on Hampstead Heath, the rain has come down. So it was today but we went anyway, and eventually it did clear, the woods becoming magical in the evening sun.

The song that I can never keep out of my mind at such times is I Love to Walk in the Rain, as performed by Shirley Temple and Bill Bojangles Robinson in the film Just Around the Corner. The above clip is colourised, I’m afraid. The song is preceded in the film by Mr Robinson performing Brass Buttons and Epaulettes, accompanied by the Raymond Scott Quintette.

I don’t recommend watching the whole film. The songs are great but the rest is tedious, and aside from the concert at the end the only other song is, I think, This is a Happy Little Ditty, performed by Miss Temple, Mr Robinson, Joan Davis, and Bert Lahr, better known as The Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz. You can find that song here.

1 comment:

Oscar Grillo said...

She was the best...Pity she had to grow up!