Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Diverse drift-days

Diverse drift-days (Diverse drivedage)
Dan Turèll

These drift-days, daughter. They are like small lakes to swim in with still-standing water - white lagoons of page after page that we leaf through forward into the day. It’s a rhythm I haven’t known since I was a child.

We draw a little, we practice a couple of letters, we go to the zoo. We contemplate every single animal at length. It is as if you want to imprint them for yourself now, as though you perhaps in some place or other know, that they won’t be there much longer.

Nothing happens, only an ever closer contact as between those who have just fallen in love, or like when a true friendship is underway. We understand each other better and better.

You will soon be five and you will soon forget. Just like all that I have myself forgotten - faded pictures of Father, Mother and child in the Commons Park, 1st May 1954 - that’s how it will be for you. But I say thank you, little treasure, thanks in time, thanks for the slow drifting rhythm, I had otherwise completely forgotten.

Copyright © the estate of Dan Turèll.

This translation is my own. The original is included in an excellent film about Dan Turèll, Så kort og mærkeligt livet er (So short and strange life is), 2008, directed by Anders Østergaard. A clip can be seen here. No subtitles I’m afraid.

I will resist the temptation to illustrate this post, so that you may draw on your own personal album instead.

4 comments:

Paul said...

This brought a tear to my eye. Thanks, Kellie.

kellie said...

Hi Paul, nice to hear from you. How is G. getting on with the piano? Her YouTube debut was great!

Paul said...

Here she is singing Close to You by the Carpenters. Her piano playing is struggling to keep up with her torch singing, but when she is satisfied with her progress I will upload updates, for sure.

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/24408/Close_To_You"

kellie said...

Brilliant, your retirement is secure!