Tuesday, 14 July 2009

As a cartoonist, you must be nuts to work in Iran





Election drawings by Mana Neyestani at Radio Zamaneh, via Free Lantern. There’s older work by him at ECC Cartoonbooks Club.

Michael Cavna of The Washington Post interviews exiled Iranian cartoonist Nikahang Kowsar, via Journalista. A snippet:
MC: Just how many charges did you face over the years in Iran?
NK: I faced 197 charges over several years for "undermining national security" because I was responsible for a big protest. Right now, probably about 10 of them are still active.
[...]
MC: Given these conditions, what motivates you to be a cartoonist? Is it political conviction, or bravery, or national interest? In other words: Why take on the risk?
NK: First of all, as a cartoonist, you must be nuts to work in Iran. I think I was.
This article by Michael Cavna draws on the same interview but looks a little more widely at Iranian cartooning. 

_

On Iran and the Left, and other matters, more via Bob from Brockley and Terry Glavin.

Much more on current events in Iran from  Nico Pitney.

Background: Iran and Britain, a BBC documentary first broadcast in February 2009. On YouTube, clips one, two, three, four, five and six.

7 comments:

Oscar Grillo said...

The BBC programs were just amazing!

kellie said...

Yes, I thought so too. As well as the obvious centrality of oil in the Anglo-Persian relationship, the whole story of how the UK's up and down relations with Russia changed relations with Persia/Iran was very interesting, particularly coming up to the First World War.

Azarmehr on Russia and Iran here. And Mohsen Makhmalbaf on Russia here.

kellie said...

And the difference between David Owen's account of himself and the version remembered by the BBC World Service journalist made me laugh!

bob said...

Kellie, you're really on a role these days: your posts are essential, so it is an honour to be included!

kellie said...

Thanks very much, Bob. I feel I should be saying more, rather than just linking, but there isn't the space at the moment.

I need a job that pays, but with lots of free time! Instead things are the other way round. I thought Shuggy's theory on lowering pay to attract better teachers was on the money. That's exactly how I operate, the less I'm paid, the harder I work. Shhh!

bob said...

I'm also facing an under-employment situation (seems like a few of my virtual friends are...), but although I'm working harder I'm investing more time in stress-induced displacement activities like blogging!

kellie said...

Yes, even though we can't run our own lives, we can always relax by saving the world in our spare time. I had nearly solved Gaza earlier this week, but then felt a terrible headache coming on.