Sunday, 6 March 2011

Robin drawings


When searching my hard disk for reference images of birds a couple of weeks ago, I found some scans of Robin drawings. Not birds, but illustrations by Robin Jacques, taken from the book Drawing for Radio Times, by R.D. Usherwood, or perhaps The Artists of Radio Times by Martin Baker. A library book it was, and quite a few years ago.


Travellers on the London Tube may have seen some of Robin Jacques’s Sherlock Holmes drawings decorating the walls of Baker Street Underground Station.


I don’t know the dates on which these originally appeared in Radio Times magazine.


From what I remember, according to the book these were all done to quite short deadlines. I think it said all three of these detailed drawings for The Tempest were completed over a weekend.


I have seen a couple of his original drawings, and they are very small scale, with fine detail work to challenge a printer’s craft.


Click on the drawings to enlarge, or for extra high resolution scans click here: one, two, three, four, five, six.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely stuff, I used to know him when I made drawings for the Radio Times we would meet at the Christmas Parties. You know that he was Hattie Jacques' brother?

Best Ian

kellie said...

No, I didn't know that!