Thursday, 20 January 2011

Animals without borders


Following on from the previous post, more Erich Kästner, with a book I haven’t read and a film I haven’t seen. The book is Die Konferenz der Tiere from 1949, beautifully illustrated by Walter Trier. I have a lovely hardback edition, but I can’t read more than a handful of words in German, so I’ll have to wait ’til I find a copy of the English translation, The Animals’ Conference, out of print since the mid ’fifties I think.

Some friends of ours were unfortunate enough to stray into a cinema during the holidays, and suffered through Animals United, a grotesque-looking film based on Kästner’s book. Having seen the trailer, I have no desire to repeat their error. It’s not the first animated adaptation, as discussed last year at Cartoon Brew.

Below a page from the story, with animals agitating for no borders.

2 comments:

jams o donnell said...

It looks like it will be a difficult search. Shame as it looks like a wonderful children's book

kellie said...

Seems the British Library has it, but that would mean leaving the house...